My students had very little experience with paint when I became their teacher, so I wanted them to have time to become comfortable with the medium and to learn what it can and cannot do. They had so much fun mixing colors. I was called from all sides of the room all class to see their colors. “MS. PINAIRE, MS. PINAIRE, I MADE ORANGE,” and “IT’S WORKING!” were some of my favorites.
- Discuss primary and secondary colors
- Fold paper into sections (the older kids had 64, the younger ones had fewer)
- Use a pencil to define the parts if needed
- Mix colors! I used tempera cakes in the primary colors. All of the students had their own 6 well mixing tray to use. When it was full, they could rinse it out in the sink to make room for more exciting colors.
- Review primary and secondary colors
- Mix, mix, mix!